Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

PSA Testing -False Positives

PSA Testing and False Positives

Testing a man's PSA level is the most common way to assess his chances of developing prostate cancer. I remember when the only way to routinely check for prostate cancer was with the infamous digital rectal probe. I always dreaded my annual physical knowing that sooner or later I would have to buckle my pants and get into position.

 The purpose of the exam

 The purpose of the exam is to feel the prostate to detect any lumps or lumps that could indicate a possible tumor. To tell the truth, even the doctors did not care much . In fact, I had a doctor who performed the procedure without ever being a patient of his in many years. Shame on him and shame on me for not insisting on the exam.

PSA Testing and False Positives

So when I learned that a new test had been approved that required a simple blood test, I was happy. Now I don't have to "take over". However, I should point out that the digital exam is still used and is a viable test that should be used in conjunction with the PSA blood test.

However, there is a major problem with testing PSA levels and that is false positives. A false positive is when you have a high PSA level for a variety of reasons, but no cancer. There are several causes of high PSA that are unrelated to cancer. Some medications such as finasteride and dutasteride can raise PSA. Also urinary tract infections can cause an increase in PSA. Even different labs can give different results.

Double-edged sword

On the one hand, PSA is a double-edged sword that can detect evidence of prostate cancer.  But on the other hand, a false positive can mean that a person may undergo an unnecessary prostate biopsy. There is even considerable debate about the frequency of testing, at what age testing should begin.what is the acceptable PSA level above which a person should undergo further testing.

In my case I went for the middle ground. When my test results showed an increase in my PSA above 4.0, I decided after consulting with my doctor to wait three months and then get another PSA test. Unfortunately for me my PSA continued to rise and I had a biopsy which confirmed the presence of cancer.

The most important thing

The most important thing is to learn about  tests and talk to your doctor.Prostate cancer is a slow-growing type of cancer in most cases. There is no immediate need to make a decision. I would encourage anyone with a PSA level above 4.0 to wait three months and get retested. However, a very high PSA may indicate precancerous conditions. Regular checkups and PSA tests are important to establish a baseline for you and your doctor.

Post a Comment

0 Comments